Saturday, August 11, 2012

Picture Book Saturday (28)

Moo Hoo
By Candace Ryan, illustrated by Mike Lowery
Published 2012 by Walker & Company
A very clever book that uses only words rhyming with "moo hoo" to tell its story. Cow and Owl are best friends and do everything together. They are not exactly excited about Kangaroo trying to butt in on their friendship. But, of course, they eventually see all the things that Kangaroo could add to their friendship and everyone ends up happy. A great book about learning to make friends told in a very simple and clever way.



Frangoline and the Midnight Dream
By Clemency Pearce and Rebecca Elliott
Published 2011 by Scholastic
A cute story about a good little girl who becomes something entirely different at night, this book is most notable for its beautiful illustrations. The tale reads like a cross between a Halloween book and a bedtime story, so it's hard to know when exactly it might be best to read, but it is a cute story. I like that the illustrations are a nice mix of dark and adorable - it's basically my favorite thing.



Magritte's Marvelous Hat
By D.B. Johnson
Published 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
I've picked up a couple of Johnson's books lately and I guess I just don't get them. Do kids find them appealing? Perhaps the style of art and animal characters work well for the audience but the stories always strike me as a bit off for the age group. I found this one more accessible than the Escher-based title, but I don't think these books will ever really be among my favorites.



Vote for Me!
By Ben Clanton
Published 2012 by Kids Can Press
It's an election year so it shouldn't really surprise anyone that this book has come along to try to introduce children to the politics of campaigning. I found it quite entertaining, but I'm not sure if the humor will find its mark among an audience of kids. Even if they miss all the subtleties of it, I think kids will find the antics of the elephant and donkey amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment